14 May, 2010

Baking Friday

I was looking after stacks of kids today, and they needed to eat so some baking got done.


Firstly this version of the "brookies" bakerella posted about this week. Except I only put in 1.5 cups of brown sugar, not 2 cups, and I didn't have pecans so I added 100g of chopped peanuts. The dough was mixed by hand and was delicious (like chocolately peanut paste - above) but the end result was a little dissappointing. It rose a but too high and was more cakey than fudgy. It also might have been better spread thinner (in a larger pan) and with the extra half cup of sugar. Might give it a second shot (bakerella rarely disappoints). The kids certainly liked it.


Then I managed to whip up two batches of "Miss Dahl's Banana Bread" from this lovely book.



As I'm on a mixmaster hiatus, I can only bake things mixed by hand. I LOVE this recipe and bananas have been really cheap at Coles lately.

Here's my abbreviated instructions:


BANANA BREAD

  • Mash 4 bananas with 75g soft butter.
  • Then mix in 1 cup brown sugar, 1 beaten egg, 1 tbsp vanilla.
  • Then add 1 tsp bicarb, pinch of salt and 1.5 cups plain flour.
  • I bake in 8 small loaves for about 30 mins at 180C. If you do it as one large loaf it would probably take about an hour.

Really quick, doesn't need icing, great to defrost a loaf in an emergency (you know the sort of emergencies I mean).

And because it's been such a lovely day here today, here's a pic of two cousins in the chook shed. They played together so beautifully today, which is a relief because S used to wack C on the head with anything she could get her hands on when they were little. And yes, S is stil in her pjs. I think she got out of them at around 2pm.


Now, don't think that it was all a breeze and that I'm totally in control or anything. It's actually easier to bake something simple than it is for me to get to the shops. It's now after 8pm, I started this post around 11am, the house is destroyed and all the kids are still awake.

But I've achieved one thing that I set out to do today - this post! Thank goodness. Now I can sleep more contentedly tonight. Off to parent now. Have a lovely weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Marissa4:48 pm

    A day at home in pyjamas, playing with my cousins & Mum baking delicious goodies - surely life doesn't get much better than that! Thanks for sharing those recipes, I look forward to trying them out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy baking! We have some overripe bananas lurking in our fruit bowl, I think I need to 'repurpose' them... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know that I made a banana loaf - YUM! - it's become a new favourite recipe in our house! Great for the kids' packed lunches :-) I shall definitely be trying those brookies at some point too, but I'm saving that recipe for a special occasion xx

    ReplyDelete

I hate to admit it, but I do love comments! Please make sure you have email 'enabled' or leave an address, or I can't stay in touch, sorry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails