11 October, 2009

Mulberry Crumb Cake

We have a terrific mulberry tree in our back yard. Planted by my husband only a few years ago, it's fruiting beautifully. But what to do with the berries? With the crazy dust storms we've had they couldn't be eaten straight off the tree (but try telling that to the kids!).


Anyway, yesterday I made this, and it's really yummy.

I've adapted the American recipe from here, http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=170032 and didn't use any jam. It makes a small, but very special, 'afternoon tea' type cake. (Although I actually had it as my lunch yesterday. Yum.)

Mulberry Almond Crumb Cake

Process in food processor until it looks like crumbs:
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup sugar
Pinch salt
¼ cup butter

Reserve ½ cup to use in topping.

Then put in a mixing bowl with:
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarb soda
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp almond extract
1 egg
And beat at medium speed until blended. Then spoon into cake tin.

Then beat up
90g cream cheese
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg white
And spoon over top of first batter.

Top with
1/3 cup mulberries (I didn't measure these actually, I just dotted them on)

Combine reserved flour 'crumbs' with
2 tbsp blanched almonds (chopped up in processor)
And sprinkle on top.

Bake 50 mins at 180 degrees celcius.

Yum

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! Thanks for converting the recipe. I have the hardest time with that.

    My son insisted on "planting" what we thought was a dead stick in the corner of the yard last summer. Little did we know -- it was a mulberry branch! And now we get mulberries!

    ReplyDelete

I hate to admit it, but I do love comments! Please make sure you have email 'enabled' or leave an address, or I can't stay in touch, sorry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails